CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, May 8, 2008

Orange Biscuits

Okay, one more recipe from Sister Bessette! This is her orange biscuit recipe. We had them one time when we had dinner at her house and they are SO yummy! I could eat them for a dessert!

Start with a regular biscuit recipe (this is hers):
1/2 tsp. salt
4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 C. flour
Sift these together (I learned that a sifter is a must when making clump-free biscuits) and cut in 5 tbsp. shortening (she told me that she swears by Crisco) and 1 C. buttermilk.

Here is where we add the "orange biscuit" part:
In a saucepan combine:
1/2 C. orange juice
1/2 C. sugar
1/4 C. butter
2 tsp. grated orange peel
Cook and stir over medium heat for 2 minutes, then divide among 12 muffin cups (that you should spray with cooking spray). She actually told me that this recipe really makes 24 muffin-cups worth!

Take your regular biscuit dough and pat it into a 1/2 inch rectangle. Brush with melted butter. Combine cinnimon and sugar (to taste) and sprinkle over the butter on top of your biscuits. Pound out your biscuits (you can use a sterile can or a circular cookie cutter or whatever) and put them in the muffin tins CINNAMON-SUGAR SIDE UP!

Bake at 450 degrees for 12-16 minutes.

I also learned that biscuits freeze really well, so they can last forever!!

1 comments:

raffleckt said...

Hi guys! I stumbled on to this blog & I have already tried a few recipes. It's very helpful, so I hope you don't mind that I added a link to my blog for quick access! I have a quick, easy, yummy recipe for garlic breadsticks that go well w/ the spagetti bake if you're interested. THANKS!-rachel affleck